Susan Lynn Peterson
M.A. in Religion. Episcopal Theological School/School of Theology, Claremont, California, 1982–1986
- Thesis: The Evolution of the Church Year: Christmas and Easter as Seasonal Transition Festivals.
- Research interests: Theological text as an instrument of power. Historical development of ritual as a semiotic expression of social and biological need.
Ph.D. in Humanities, Text Theory. University of Texas at Arlington, Arlington, Texas. 1982–1986
- Minor: History of Western Thought
- Dissertation: Sex based Differences in English Argumentative Text: A Tagmemic, Sociolinguistic Perspective.
- Research interests: Nonlogical persuasion. Gender differences in communication. Alternative academic expression.
M.A. in Linguistics. University of Texas at Arlington, Arlington, Texas, 1980–1982
- Minor: Teaching English as a Second Language
- Thesis: Toward a Theory of Contrastive Rhetoric with Application to the Teaching of ESL Composition
- Research interests: Nonwestern persuasive text. Sociolinguistics of text.
B.I.S. in Anthropological Linguistics. University of Minnesota, Minneapolis, Minnesota, 1978–1980
- Minor: Biblical languages
Diploma in Foreign Missions. Moody Bible Institute, Chicago, Illinois, 1975–1978
- Minor: Greek
Owner and Operator of Alcuin Communications, LLC, Center City, Minnesota and Tucson, Arizona, 2007-present
- Edited and published memoirs and “family history” books.
- Designed and maintained Web sites.
- Designed various business forms and printed materials (fillable pdfs, brochures, flyers, sandwich boards)
- Edited and restored photos.
Freelance Writer/Editor, Center City, Minnesota and Tucson, Arizona, 1990-present
- Wrote five books, numerous magazine articles and columns.
- Wrote Internet articles for Demand Studios. Specializations: cooking, food preservation, gardening, martial arts
- Wrote and edited fund raising letters, annual reports, newsletters, tenure and promotion documents.
- Work in Progress: The Mind of Martial Arts. A conversation between traditional Asian mind-body practices and modern brain research.
Karate Instructor, Black Pine Martial Arts, KoSho Karate Pantano, and KoSho Karate San Tucson, Arizona, 1996-2011
- Taught Okinawan Shuri-ryu, Okinawan kobudo, mind-body technologies, and self defense to children and adults
- Wrote standards books for students and reference materials for teachers
- Supervised assistant instructors
- Designed and conducted rank-promotion tests
- Maintained Web site (2004-2007)
- Designed marketing materials
- Participated in the operation of a small business
Adjunct Professor Church History, Episcopal Theological School, Claremont, California, 1990-1992
- Designed and taught four graduate-level church history courses: early, medieval, reformation, and modern
- Taught working adults in a program that allowed them to get a master’s degree while continuing to work a full-time job.
Writing Instructor, Cypress College, Cypress, California, 1986-1990
- Designed and taught English courses: developmental writing and freshman composition.
- Assessed departmental writing proficiency tests.
Graduate Teaching Associate, University of Texas at Arlington, Arlington, Texas, 1984-1985
- Assisted in teaching Conceptual Basis of the Humanities, a graduate level course in the history of Western thought
Research Assistant, University of Texas at Arlington, Arlington, Texas, 1984-1985
- Researched current trends in critical thinking education and helped develop a writing/critical thinking integrated curriculum.
- Organized the Second International Conference on Linguistics and the Humanities (March 14 16, 1984).
- Rewrote the humanities program brochure.
- Edited all conference programs for the College of Liberal Arts.
Instructor, University of Texas at Arlington, Arlington, Texas, 1980-1984
- Designed and taught courses for Foreign Languages and Linguistics Department, Philosophy Department, Graduate Humanities Program, English Language Institute
- Classes included: freshman composition for non native speakers of English, introduction to informal logic and critical thinking, intermediate and advanced college-preparatory English as a second language, graduate-level conceptual bases of the humanities.
Freelance Tutor, University of Texas at Arlington, Arlington, Texas, 1983-1984
- Taught technical writing to graduate students in university business, science, and engineering
English Instructor, Tsudanuma English School, Tsudanuma, Japan, 1979
- Taught English as a foreign language: five classes, students aged four through adult.
- Western Herbs for Martial Artists and Contact Athletes. YMAA. Released: September 2010
Winner of the USA Book News National Best Book Award for Alternative Medicine, First Runner Up for the Eric Hoffer Award, and an IndependentPublisher.com highlighted title.
- Legends of the Martial Arts Masters. Tuttle Publishing. Released: August 2003
- Clare. A historical novel. Alcuin House. Released: January 2006, electronic edition: January 2010.
- Starting and Running Your Own Martial Arts School. With Karen Levitz Vactor. Tuttle Publishing. Released: November 2002.
- Timeline Charts of the Western Church. Zondervan Publishing House. Released: October 1999.
Second Printing: November 1999. Third Printing: January 2002.
Selected by the ECPA as a Gold Medallion Book Award finalist, March 2000.
- An Introduction to Christian Mysticism and Meditation: The Collected Works of Arlie Wright. (compiled and edited) Self published by the family of Arlie Wright. Released: 1989. (out of print)
- Articles in New Body, Modern Liturgy, Complete Woman, Radiance, Black Belt, Living Church, Etc., Livestrong, eHow and others. Links to some of the articles here. Clips available on request.
- Thirty-one years of computer experience. Very skilled user
- Familiar with Windows and Apple operating systems
- Expert user of: WordPerfect, MSWord, Photoshop, Firefox. Highly skilled user of Publisher, Dreamweaver, InDesign, Adobe Acrobat, Outlook, Excel, all CoffeeCup software, and many other software packages.
- Intermediate-level hand-coding of html and css.
- Can perform intermediate-level hardware installation, upgrades, and repairs. Can perform intermediate-level troubleshooting of MS Windows systems.
- Highly experienced in Internet research
- Spanish (fair reading ability, some speaking ability)
- Koine Greek (fair reading ability)
Have also studied:
- Classical Hebrew (reading)
- French (reading)
- German (reading)
- Latin (reading)
- Russian (reading and some speaking)
- Tibetan (grammar only)
- Dakota (monolingual analysis)
- Arabic (monolingual analysis)
Shaolin Kempo/Shaolin Chuan Fa, 1990-1992
Okinawan Shuri-ryu Karate, 1993-2011
- Teachers: Tony Bisanz (current), Kandie Vactor, Johnny Linebarger, Tony Linebarger, Lend McCaster, John Spooner.
- Dojos: Black Pine Martial Arts, KoSho Karate, Tucson, Arizona
- Rank: Godan in karate and Nidan in kobudo
Yang Style Tai Chi, 2002-present
- Teacher: Jeffrey Zauderer, Great Harmony Tai Chi Chuan, Tucson, Arizona (2002-2004)
Martial Kinesiology, Tucson, Arizona, 2002-2009
- Teacher: Shawn Koons
- tai chi sword, jujitsu, aikido, wing chun, kenpo, tactical self defense, Mona Lisa’s Sword
Tournament Experience (highlights)
- 1995 USAKF Arizona State Tournament: First place Women’s 35+ Intermediate Kobudo, First place Women’s 35+ Intermediate Kata
- 1995 USAKF Pacific League Tournament: First place Women’s 35+ Intermediate Kobudo, Second place Women’s 35+ Intermediate Kata
- 1995 USAKF National Tournament: First place Women’s 35+ Intermediate Kobudo
- 1996 USAKF Arizona State Karate Tournament: Second place Women’s 35+ Advanced Kata, Second place Women’s 35+ Advanced Kobudo
- 1996 USAKF National Tournament: Second place Women’s 35+ Advanced Kobudo
- 1999 USAKF Arizona State Tournament: First place Women’s 35+ Advanced Kata
- 2001 USAKF Arizona State Tournament: First place Women’s 35+ Advanced Kobudo (short weapons), Second place Women’s 35+ Advanced Kata, Second place Women’s 35+ Advanced Kobudo (long weapons)
- 2001 USAKF Pacific League Tournament: First place 35+ Advanced Kobudo (short weapons), First place 35+ Advanced Kobudo (long weapons), Third place Senior Women (35+) Black Belt kata
- 2006 USKA State Tournament: Third place Advanced Kobudo, Fourth place Advanced Kata
- 2006 USKA National Tournament: Fourth place Kobudo Master’s Division, Third Place Advanced Kata
- USKA Certified judge